Send anyone this way to read along, but for permission to reprint, please contact Gail.
© Gail Underwood Parker

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Holidays 101: #19- Rule of Four revised

Lately there has been a lot of buzz on blogs about the gift-giving "Rule of Four."  I have seen it so many places I have NO idea who to credit, and I find it a good start but missing two key pieces.  The pattern  rhymes and is easy to remember. It is--
                 Something they want.
                       Something they need.
                       Something to wear.
                       Something to read.
Not bad, is it?  There is some overlap possible, and it covers a good balance. BUT it leaves out a few things I consider key to great and balanced gift giving.....

As I have said in my last few posts, I think you also need to have something to do, something that people can do/share together, and something that is handmade or created or done for someone, not just things that are bought.  Sooooooo ... here is my revision of the Rule of Four.  You can still give just four gifts if you choose, but whatever number of gifts you choose, cover the following ideas.


Something they want
Something they need
Something to wear
Something to read
Something to share
Something to do
Especially nice is a
gift made by you.


No comments:

Post a Comment