Send anyone this way to read along, but for permission to reprint, please contact Gail.
© Gail Underwood Parker

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Soapbox: The Least of Them

Note: For some reason this post didn't load automatically as it was scheduled to, so I am hand-posting it although it is now almost 10 pm and soapbox day is almost over. I feel strongly about this, so I don't want to wait until next Wednesday.  I may end up skipping tomorrow's instead. Here it is:

The Least of Them

I seldom talk politics.  But today I share a quote from Senator and former Vice-President Hubert H. Humphrey's very last speech.  It is his political application of the Biblical assertation that we be judged by how we treat the "least of them."

In my state, as in many many other states, budget cuts are impacting funding for schools, for foster care, for special education, for medical insurance for the poor, support services for the handicapped, etc etc etc.  I see the same types of issues playing out on a national level as well.

So I offer some of Humphrey's parting words. I wish I could send this message to each and every politican, town and state budget planner, administrators, church goers, non-church goers, and to any and every decision maker.

How might our country and our world change if each on of them and each on of us could really hear it, believe it, and act on it !?!


So here is the quote from Hubert H. Humphrey's very last speech.

"...the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life; the sick, the needy and the handicapped. "


How do we fare?

Will our leaders hear?


Can we make the right choices?

What future will we help create?

No comments:

Post a Comment