Send anyone this way to read along, but for permission to reprint, please contact Gail.
© Gail Underwood Parker

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Caring Heart: Celebrating Sheets

This celebration is not only for any parent who has survived the struggles of a child who is challenged by bedwetting.  Particularly common in foster children, yes, but widespread throughout the general population as well. 

Weekly Bed Changes

I never thought I would enjoy weekly bed changes.  I never thought I would actually celebrate them.  But I do!  Oh, do I!! To go to his room in the middle of the day, strip off the bed sheets, bundle them and toss them into the wash is a new delight. Delight because it is not the middle of the night.  Delight because they don't smell. Delight because it is not the same thing I did last night, or the night before, or every night. Delight because I a changing the sheets because it is time, not because they are wet.  Lord, I celebrate for him.  He is making it.  He has turned the tide.  He longer has those interrupted nights, the sense of embarrassment, the discomfort. And, to be honest Lord, I celebrate for myself as well.  Thank you.  Thank you for dry sheets.

Excerpted from "The Caring Heart Speaks: Meditations for foster, kinship, and adoptive parents" by Gail Underwood Parker   Artwork by Anna Parker David from the book cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment