At lunch we talked about how regions with much higher temps routinely manage it. Their solution [of course!] was that we should buy an air conditioner and an outdoor pool!! Instead we talked about shifting the expectations for a hot day, for choosing to let go of our original goals for a day when the heat hits.
A Dozen new goals or ideas that we came up with:
2. Take a siesta.
3. Do chores early or late.
4. Go crazy and stay up late for the cool hours and sleep through the hot hours.
5. Find the coolest room in the house and have a family camp out or sleepover in that room.
6. Create a cool zone in the house with fans and closed doors!
7. Go to an air-conditioned theater and enjoy a summer movie at the peak of the heat.
8. Make a family salad bar for simple, healthy, no-heat lunches.
10. Gather some books, family videos, read a-louds and quiet family board games and make the peak heat time to share quiet family fun in your cool room.
11. Let your usual standards slide for a few days and go ahead and use disposable plates.12. Take your showers or shampoos in mid day to cool off.
Ok, you southern folks, give us northerners a hand.... If you had no air conditioning option... what are your best tips for keeping the family cool??? Share!
Image credits: kwaree.com, wsmweather.co.uk, dallas.ismyhome.com, dirtrider.com