Send anyone this way to read along, but for permission to reprint, please contact Gail.
© Gail Underwood Parker

Friday, July 22, 2011

Anything Can Happen: Cool Gadget

I found this little gizmo online and fell in love. It's the kind of gadget that my father used to LOVE getting and using.  Seems a lot handier to keep handy in a purse or pocket [or even on a desk] than a 12-inch ruler!

It is called a "constrained ball" and was designed by a young South Korean engineering product designer named Giha Woo. [click on "Profile"]

Deceptively simple, the fixed but rotating wheel only allows the pencil or pen to move in straight lines, making it possible for anyone to draw great straight lines, whether drawing randomly or underlining text or whatever.  To top it off there is a sensor that measures distance with a readout built in.
Too good to be true?  Why have I not bought one for all my geeky or steadiness-challenged friends?  That's the catch...

As far as I can tell it is only a prototype or something similar. I have been totally unable to locate any place that sells or distributes them. When I found this last week I searched and found a contact email for Giha Woo and have sent an inquiry.  His comment page is filled with eager customers!  I will let you know if I hear back.  In the meantime.... go forth and invent something equally enticing.... you may make millions!  After all....anything can happen!

Image credits: www.gihawoo.com
[You will find the constrained ball on the second or third page of his 2010 album]

No comments:

Post a Comment