Send anyone this way to read along, but for permission to reprint, please contact Gail.
© Gail Underwood Parker

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Caring Heart: One Less Fear

Last week's meditation was about struggling with anxiety so I decided that this week should recognize the joy of success when anxiety eases. 

One less fear.

The room looks so bright and cheerful.  It seems wonderful and yes, looks normal.  I can't remember the last time he was able to sleep without taking blankets over the windows to cover them completely.  It is so strange.  Here I am so very excited about something most parents don't even give a moment's thought.  And, they worry about things that are of almost no concern at all to me those concerns are so far down my priority list.  I see people driving around town with bumper stickers proclaiming "My 9th graders is an honor student at XYZ High School"  I have never once seen one that says "My 9th grader slept through the night last night." No one proclaims those accomplishments on bumper stickers. For him to sleep through the night is great by itself.  Do do so with the windows uncovered is an accomplishment that took far more effort than most of those 9th grade honor roll kids.  Thank you for giving him the courage to try.  To dare to un-tack that heavy blanket. To face the shadows and sounds beyond the window. Thank you for his success.  Girded with this success, let him tackle another fear, and then another.  Let this be the beginning of the end of all those fears, all those anxieties that have held him in knots for so many years. 

Excerpted from "The Caring Heart Speaks: Meditations for foster, kinship, and adoptive parents" by Gail Underwood Parker    Artwork by Anna Parker David from the book cover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment