Send anyone this way to read along, but for permission to reprint, please contact Gail.
© Gail Underwood Parker

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Caring Heart: One A Day

Who says New Year's Eve is the only time for resolutions?  Foster parents are use to beginning over, and over again.  And, not only do we gather ourselves with new energy with children already in our care, but also get to start over each time a new child arrives. I talked over a week ago about one a day chuckle vitamins... here is another type of one a day experiment.


One a Day

I'm trying new vitamins, Lord.  Same routine: one each day, hoping to build up a strong and healthy child. But these aren't pills, capsules, or chewable gummies.  I have decided to choose one thing each day to correct.  Only one. With so many issues, it is too easy to bury this child in corrections that must inevitably feel to them like constant scolding. Help me be wise and be selective.  Help me focus on the most crucial and the most achievable goals.  Stop me when I feel tempted to throw corrections like throwing a bowl full of vitamins. Help me choose only one vitamin for healthy life for each day. Help those I choose nourish the growth and healthy development of this so needy child.  One day, one issue, one child.  One a day.

Excerpted from "The Caring Heart Speaks: Meditations for foster, kinship, and adoptive parents" by Gail Underwood Parker      Artwork by Anna Parker David from the book cover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment