Send anyone this way to read along, but for permission to reprint, please contact Gail.
© Gail Underwood Parker

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Caring Heart: Moving Out and Moving On

Some are still praying for this day to come, others have gotten through it, still others are just now confronting this amazing transition. Whether a child who is so-called average, gifted, or a child with special needs... this transition is a terrifying one for both 'child' and parent.

Moving Out and Moving On

He is moving out tomrrow, God.  He is moving on. Is he ready?  Oh Lord, I pray he is.  Have I given him the skills and beliefs he will need? I hope so.  Let him see my pride and my faith in him, not my fears or my doubts.  If there are tears in my eyes that embarrass him, let him know they are tears of joy, not sadness.  We have worked together, helping to build this fledgling wings.  Feather by feather. Skill by skill. Now it is time for him to use those wings and attempt to fly.  He is moving out and moving on.  The choices from now on will be his.  Let him still feel out guidance and let him still feel yours. Give him currents of joy to combat the downdrafts he will encounter, as everyone does.  Give him winds of luck, for everyone needs that as well.  We have tried to build the best wings possible, but he will still need your help.  Help him fly. You have helped me teach him how to fly. Now help me let him fly. Help him fly. Keep him safe when he bumps into temporary or even permanent obstacles.  Help him fly.

Excerpted from "The Caring Heart Speaks: Meditations for foster, kinship, and adoptive parents" by Gail Underwood Parker   Artwork by Anna Parker David from the book cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment