Send anyone this way to read along, but for permission to reprint, please contact Gail.
© Gail Underwood Parker

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Holidays 101: #2: Holiday Card Idea

It has been years and years since I got my act together enough to actually send out Christmas cards.  AS much as people complain about holiday cards, I discovered that if you don't send them you do lose track of people in your life. This year I am determined to reverse that trend if I can.  I am GOing to send out cards this year.  Not a lot, but some.  Not with fancy letters, but at least with a sentence above my signature. Try using Google or Facebook or Anywho.com to track down someone you have lost track of and using the excuse of a holiday to reconnect.

More important I am sending out a bunch of cards to people I don't even know.  Consider this possibility for you and your kids to do with some of those leftover Christmas and Hannukah cards buried in boxes somewhere amid the holiday trappings.  I am not in favor of war.  However I separate the policy of wars from the men and women who sacrifice so much to make a positive difference in the world.  The Red Cross sponsors a special program that will accept and distribute cards with the blessing and cooperation of the mail service, the military, and even hospitals. Make it a new tradition to use some of your card sending as a blessing to people you don't even know. Send each one addressed to:

Holiday Mail For Heroes
P.O. Box 5456
Capitol Heights, MD 20791-5456


PLEASE note:  Cards sent to "A Recovering American Soldier" or "Any soldier" etc. absolutely will not and CANNOT be delivered [example: those recommended for the Walter Reed Army Med. Ctr that seems to pop up online each year] "Federal law and postal regulations will not allow mail addressed to “Recovering Soldiers” or “Any Service member” to be delivered." 


Make a real difference for people who gave up a lot in the hopes of making a real difference for others.

Image credits: kikipotamus.wordpress.com, army.mil, redcross.com

No comments:

Post a Comment