Send anyone this way to read along, but for permission to reprint, please contact Gail.
© Gail Underwood Parker

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Caring Heart: Meds or No Meds

Trying to do the best for children is always a challenge and when they are not your own it is even harder to make the right choice.  But sometimes it gets even more complicated when others who don't even live with the child set limits or push their agendas to one extreme or another. This is just one example of the balancing acts so common.

Meds or No Meds

I am so confused.  How do I decide what is the best for this child?  I have seen children who do so much better when they take medicine.  They are not zombies, rather they seem freed to be a lighter, happier self.  They are more able to take control of their lives rather than be at the mercy of their bodies' chemistry.  And yet, many people disagree and warn of known and unknown dangers from such medicines.  I have seen children suffer the side effects of weight gain, muted personality, sleepiness, and more.  Who am I to believe?  Who am I to trust? How do I balance the negative side effects and the positive results? How can this child trust me to make the right decision when I am so unsure?  How do I advocate for what is best when I don't know?  Guide me, please.  Make me unafraid to explore the many options, to change my mind if my choice doesn't feel right, and to hold firm to what seems right for this child at this time.  Guide me.  Bolster me.  Help me do what is best for this child. Lead us down the right path. Please.

Excerpted from "The Caring Heart Speaks: Meditations for foster, kinship, and adoptive parents" by Gail Underwood Parker   Artwork by Anna Parker David from the book cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment