Send anyone this way to read along, but for permission to reprint, please contact Gail.
© Gail Underwood Parker

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Caring Heart: Toilet Training Challenges

For those of you who have never encountered this.... count your blessings!  For those who have... You are not alone!

Pee Goes in the Toilet

Oh please.  I have toilet-trained girls and I have toilet-trained boys.  It isn't rocket science.  Why am I having so much trouble with this boy?  He pees behind doors, he pees in wastebaskets, he pees wherever it seems to fit his fancy at the moment.  Clearly pleasing me isn't much of a motivator for him.  He doesn't seem to care whether I am proud of him, or frustrated, or angry with him.  Did anything teach him in the beginning?  Was this ok?  Was he punished for wet diapers so that he would pee elsewhere to protect himself?  What is the key to this puzzle?   I admit it is pushing my buttons and those of everyone else in the house.  Give me patience. It seems I ask for that every day, Lord, and yet I need it every day! Help me build a connection with him so that I am able to motivate him and understand him. Help him learn to fit in, meeting not just my expectations, but the world's.  It's really pretty simple... Pee goes in the toilet!


Excerpted from "The Caring Heart Speaks: Meditations for foster, kinship, and adoptive parents" by Gail Underwood Parker    Artwork by Anna Parker David from the book cover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment