Send anyone this way to read along, but for permission to reprint, please contact Gail.
© Gail Underwood Parker

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Caring Heart Speaks: Trying to See Strengths

This meditation is for those weeks that fostering children who have endured so much is such hard work. When the road ahead looks so long, the hill so high to climb.

Oh God, this has been a hard week. Help me to see the strengths and positives in this child.  Help me to look past the challenges, the lacks, the negatives.  There are so many days it seems all to be focused on what is wrong with this child.  Help me to make a point today of noticing what is good in this child, to see the traits that others may see and celebrate.  Let me see the intense loyalty that enables her to still care about those who mistreated her.  Let me see resilience in his very willingness to be in this new family.  Let me see the inner courage that enables her to put on that brave exterior when she is so frightened inside.  Let me see the strength that is help him cope with all he has lost.  Don't let me get so mired in always working for progress that I miss opportunities to celebrate accomplishments along the way.  Open my eyes today to see the smallest signs.  Open my mouth to tell them that I see their efforts, that I celebrate their strengths. Amen.

Excerpted from "The Caring Heart Speaks: Meditations for foster, kinship, and adoptive parents" by Gail Underwood Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment