Send anyone this way to read along, but for permission to reprint, please contact Gail.
© Gail Underwood Parker

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Caring Heart: Fights over Medicine

Many children today are on regular medications.  Even more children in foster care are on regular medications.Anyone who has a child who has to take medications is likely to be familiar with occasional struggles around that need.

Fights over Medications

He won't take his medicine again. I get so tired of this battle.  I think this hurdle is crossed.  I start to trust him when he says he took it.  Then I find pills stashed under a lamp or thrown in the trash.  It's not that I mind having to watch him until he takes it.  But it often guarantees a battle.  I suppose I would hate having to take meds too.  But they make such a difference and when he is taking them, he knows they help. And when he misses he can spin out of control so fast.  Sure he is sorry afterwards, but the damage is done.  Help me find a way to give him his medicine before he is at that point.  Help me to find a way to give it to him and wath him swallow it in a way that he doesn't find demenaing.  Help him recognize his need and accept the gift of medicine that can help so much.  Help him gradually learn to accept taking his medications and work towards independence and dependability in managing his needs.

Excerpted from "The Caring Heart Speaks: Meditations for foster, kinship, and adoptive parents" by Gail Underwood Parker.   Artwork by Anna Parker David from the book cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment