Send anyone this way to read along, but for permission to reprint, please contact Gail.
© Gail Underwood Parker

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Caring Heart: 9/11 plus ten

9/11 plus Ten

Ten years.  It has been ten years.  It seems like yesterday and yet forever ago.  My little guys barely remember 9/11.  Ten years ago tragedy struck and for a magical time the whole country was united in compassion and caring.  Yes, there was patriotism.  Yes their was anger and in some a desire for revenge.  But mostly, in the days and weeks that followed there was compassion. People of all ages rushed to help, rushed to support each other, sent messages of any and all kinds.

I can't do a regular Caring Heart meditation today. [Tomorrow I will reflect and share a slide show I made ten years ago for my students after a visit to New York.]  But today I want to celebrate the compassion that was in everyone's caring hearts ten years ago.  I want to pray that we recapture that compassion and never ever lose it. I don't want us to forget the pain and heartbreak and shock of the events of ten years ago. But even more I don't want us to forget the compassion, the unity, the caring and empathy. Ever.

Ribbon image from a photo I took in NYC near Ground Zero September 2011

Caring Heart logo art  by Anna Parker David from the book cover "The Caring Heart Speaks: Meditations for foster, kinship, and adoptive parents" by Gail Underwood Parker   

No comments:

Post a Comment