Send anyone this way to read along, but for permission to reprint, please contact Gail.
© Gail Underwood Parker

Monday, August 30, 2010

A strange family school tradition

Tomorrow I will continue a familiar tradition that many consider strange... especially for a teacher. Tomorrow [the day before school starts] I will present each of my kiddos with a "Get out of School Free" pass. It isn't exactly permission to play ho0key since that is defined as absence from school "without permission." This is absence from school without the school's permission but with my permission.

I couldn't give this to my own children until they were old enough to stay home alone safely because I was working full time as a teacher. I could give it to my current kiddos at an earlier age since I am no longer teaching. They each get to pick one day a year when they choose to stay home without penalty from me. It cannot be on a day they have a test, nor the first day of school. They can only use this pass one time per year.

I find this token is rarely used. I remind them of it whenever they try to play sick and clearly are not. It seems to eliminate some of the usual hassles/whines about "I don't want to go to school today." I simply ask if they are using their Skip Pass that day and remind them that they only have one. Usually the child decides s/he might need it more later and goes ahead to school. If they choose to use it, fine. I call the school to let them know that s/he will not be in school that day. They may spend the day as they choose as long as it is acceptable behavior that doesn't break family rules and doesn't interfere with my duties for the day.

My kids like the idea, teachers live with it [once I explain it is only one day], and I find it helps them be honest, to make conscious choices and promotes good decision making. Besides... it is one of the rare things I do that they think is cool. :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment