Send anyone this way to read along, but for permission to reprint, please contact Gail.
© Gail Underwood Parker

Friday, January 20, 2012

Anything Can Happen: Yes Day?

A while back I got a book for my kids named Yes Day!  [by Amy Krouse Rosenthal,  pub:HarperCollins ].  It tells the whimsical story of a child who suddenly and unexpectedly is granted a day of Yes-es.  Imagine for a moment what we as adults would ask to do on a day when the answer to any question or request was automatically "Yes!" .....

Ok, stop imagining.... you are having way to much fun with the idea.  This book is about kids having that opportunity.  Now, I know that there are certain safety rules that must be followed. But, if you stop and think about it, and especially if you plan ahead, it is amazing how many of our "No"s can in fact be transformed into "Yes" es for a single day.  Thinks about creating a "Yes Day" for your child or children.

The first time I tried it, I didn't even tell the children what was happening.  I wanted to see how long it would be before they noticed that everything was getting a "Yes." It was great fun watching them be delightfully surprised, then when they started realizing what was happening, curiously testing their theory, then their unadulterated joy and exhuberance for the remainder of the day. [To be fair, the first time I tried I chose to start on a Friday afternoon to limit the time frame.] Thereafter  it has remained a rare delight, about once a year, never proclaimed in advance, but sprung on them on a day when the weather, the moods, and everything seems to give it the best shot at success.  Try it!  Let me know how it goes...  Anything can happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment